Thursday, August 8, 2013

Gone beautiful days !!

Eid Mubarak !! Hope you all had a blessed Eid ul  Fitr. Though not an active Eid,my Eid also went good,or should I say it ended without creating much tensions. I had a false labor pain and some contractions on Tuesday night and was admitted for a day and got discharged on Wednesday evening. Needless to say, I was bloody scared,still not over it,though!

Eid is the time for family get together ,and for last 3 years, we have 10-15 guests at home for both Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul adha. Though the food preparations and all make you tired,it is fun. And on this Eid, as I am on strict bed rest, I did not cook, we ordered food from out and I was on bed the whole day. So had the whole day to remember my childhood Eid days, and I miss those days terribly.

As I hail from Calicut, and all our neighbours are Muslims we had great celebrations back home. And my Pappa's siblings live near by,so we cousins also had great fun.we would wait for the "takbirs" to begin from Masjids which declare that the moon has been sighted and its Eid the next day. And once its confirmed,me along with my neighbours who are of my same age, would pack the fitr sakat and distribute it in our neighbour hood. Then me,Pappa and my kunju ( my sister) would walk to Mukkam town, Pappa would be buying groceries,meat etc for Eid lunch and we will be at " tharavadu" ,where Ayichuttimma will be waiting for us with the freshly grinded henna. The henna leaves at tharavadu used to give very bright red colour. And we with our cousins would put mehendi cones on palms and Ayichuttimma's henna on nails. Then would return back with henna on our hands with takbirs on background. And on our way back we used to buy matching accessories for Eid dress also.

My Eid means my kunju. She was the one who used to put mehendi on my hands,she used to select my Eid dress and accessories and she used to wake me up on Eid day and she used to dress me up,and I always used to make her Eid bad by complaining about how her mehendi  design looks better than mine,and if her mehendi was more  brighter red,she used to keep it whole night and I would wash it before I go to bed,so obviously she got much better colour ! Though we quarrel every Eid mornings ,she used to take me to her friends' and then we would visit the neighbours and relatives around . Then would have lunch and by evening again will go to tharavadu, taste Ayichuttimma's parippu curry,neychor etc, then to Jameela teacher's ,umma's colleague and our family friend. The most difficult part was that we had to taste so many 'payasams' one single day.

In short,my Eid was spent around kunju. And I never had such beautiful Eid after her wedding. I still remember the first Eid without her,how I missed my kunju,I didn't put mehendi,kunju was not there to tie my hair, I didn't have her company to visit people on Eid. That Eid I cried a lot ! And I never celebrated Eid with the same happiness ever. Then I celebrated Eid again after my wedding, because I was back with kunju again in Dubai,and we used to celebrate it together. Though kunju never got time to put mehendi on my hands again,she used to remember every time she put it on her kids' coz just like me ,her elder daughter started to complain about the design! Now last two years kunju is home for Eid and my Eid is incomplete again! Kunjaa I miss you terribly. My Eid is incomplete without you!




No comments:

Post a Comment